Fractional resurfacing effectively treats different skin disorders, such as acne scars, sun spots, facial wrinkles, fine lines, and pigmented spots. The procedure gives patients smoother and younger-looking skin. There are two types of fractional resurfacing, ablative and non-ablative. Our dermatology clinic in Honolulu offers non-ablative laser therapy with the guidance of our experts, Dr. Matsuda, Dr. Sheu, and Dr. Jim On.
WHAT IS NON-ABLATIVE FRACTIONAL RESURFACING?
Non-ablative laser skin resurfacing is a good alternative to the traditional way of facial resurfacing. It is less invasive, has less risks, and comes with a shorter downtime compared to other fractional resurfacing methods.
Fractional resurfacing rejuvenates the skin by emitting small beams of light on the target areas. The beams penetrate into the skin’s deeper layers and stimulate collagen production. Treatment consists of a series of visits to the dermatology clinic of Drs. Matsuda and Sheu. Continuous treatments allow resurfacing of the entire face, minimizing wrinkles and fine lines, diminishing sunspots, and improving other discolorations on the skin. During the treatment, the patient may feel mild discomfort. However, the patient will be made as comfortable as possible with the use of cooling agents and topical anesthetics.
The purpose of this technology is to resurface the skin, encouraging the growth of smoother, healthier-looking skin. Facial spots and fine lines will fade after three to six sessions.
HOW IS FRACTIONATED NON-ABLATIVE LASER DIFFERENT FROM OTHER FACIAL TREATMENTS?
The traditional ablative procedure is more aggressive in vaporizing unwanted tissue. While it can be effective, it comes with more side effects and requires a longer time to heal. There is a greater risk for scarring and prolonged discoloration which is especially true in a sunny climate like Hawaii.
HOW DOES THE ICON FRACTIONATED NON-ABLATIVE LASER SYSTEM WORK?
Our clinic uses the Icon 1540 technology. The system delivers light to target areas by emitting an array of microbeams that gently injures small columns of tissue underneath the skin. The process stimulates the skin’s natural healing process, forming newer and healthier cells. The result is smoother and younger-looking skin.
WHICH AREAS CAN BE TREATED WITH ICON 1540 TECHNOLOGY?
The Icon 1540 Non-Ablative Laser Technology can be used on the face, neck, arms, hands, and chest.
IS FRACTIONAL LASER RESURFACING PAINFUL?
Minor discomfort may be felt as pulses of light are delivered to different treatment areas. This is designed to avoid bulk heating, which could be potentially dangerous to the patient. The use of a topical anesthetic cream markedly diminishes any discomfort during the procedure. Generally, no analgesics are required after the procedure.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT AFTER MY LASER SKIN RESURFACING?
Right after the procedure, you can expect the following:
- The treated area may appear red and swollen. Warmth and tightness may also be felt around the area, but these symptoms usually pass within a few hours following the procedure.
Bruising may be present and can be camouflaged with makeup.
- Quick healing can be expected. After treatment, the patient can perform daily activities and go back to work within 48 hours. Positive changes may also appear within a few days after initial treatment.
- To achieve desirable results, the patient will undergo a series of treatments with intervals of one to four weeks.
- Consult your dermatologist to learn more about the Icon Fractional Non-Ablative Technology and to know what else to expect.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF FRACTIONATED NON-ABLATIVE LASERS?
- They only treat a certain portion of the skin, minimizing risks during treatment.
- Recovery is quicker. New skin cells replace damaged cells within a few days.
- The majority of patients require only three to six sessions to see optimal results. The final effects can be appreciated after two to three months.
- Side effects are fewer with fractionated non-ablative lasers, and there is less discomfort compared to other skin resurfacing methods.
- There is minimal downtime and many people are back to work the next day.